Consultant | Senior Consultant – Health and Life Sciences – Ottawa
Global Public Affairs’ (Global) Ottawa office is currently hiring for its Health and Life Sciences practice group. Due to continued practice growth, Global has multiple positions we are seeking to fill. Any position(s) offered will be based on candidates experience level. Currently, we are seeking candidates with 2-4+ years of professional experience.
We are seeking candidates interested in the complex intersection of health policy, government regulation, economics, innovation and politics. Our ideal candidate is a self-starter, client service-oriented, organized and capable of working with multiple projects and deadlines. Candidates should have strong communication, writing and research skills, and enjoy working in a fast-paced team atmosphere. Bilingualism and relevant public or private sector experience related to the broader life sciences sector, including pharmaceuticals and medical technologies, and/or prior consulting experience are definite assets.
Eligibility for federal lobby registration is a mandatory requirement of this position.
Specific roles and responsibilities are detailed below.
Our national Health and Life Sciences practice is highly collaborative. We offer a positive work environment and unique corporate culture with the opportunity to interact and work with colleagues across the country.
Global is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com.
Please include salary expectation in your cover letter. Please include reference number HLS-2022-1 in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter. No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will receive a call back for interviews.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Supports the team in the execution of public affairs strategies for clients.
- Prepares written reports and proposals; delivers results presentations as well as business development presentations.
- Monitors legislative activity, media, and the policy development process relevant to client files and prepares client updates and briefing notes as required.
- Organizes client meeting programs and coordinate follow-up (assist in the preparation of contact plans, meeting agendas, briefing materials, etc.)
- Supports in the execution of the Ottawa and national business plans and attainment of corporate goals and objectives.
- Represents the company as appropriate with clients and in community affairs.
- Performs other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
The minimum qualifications for this role are:
- A post-secondary degree in business, public administration, or a related discipline or relevant experience. Post-graduate education in a relevant field is preferred.
- A working understanding of Canadian health and life sciences policy is considered a strong asset.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a political or relevant government or industry environment.
- Familiarity with political, legislative, and regulatory processes at all levels of government.
- Ability to work at both the high-level strategic level and the detailed, tactical level.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and oral (bilingual preferred).
- Ability to register under the Federal Lobbying Act, with no restrictions, is required.
- Supports the team in the execution of public affairs strategies for clients and increasing takes more personal initiative on project management.
- Learning the clients themselves – business issues, personalities, internal structures and expectations.
- Prepares written reports and proposals; develops client presentations as well as business development presentations (for manager’s review and final approval).
- Client team participation with “ownership” of key tasks/topics.
- Assists in strategy and organization of client meeting programs and coordinates follow-up as necessary (contact plans, meeting agendas, briefing materials).
- Proactive identification of government/industry trends and implications for clients and business development.
- Begins to provide analyst, future forecasting on policy trends and developments.
- Base level expertise in a key policy or issue area.
- Works in partnership with colleagues and team members to implement Global’s business plan.
- Seeks guidance as needed; mitigates issues prior to their escalation.
- Functions as the key point of support on client projects.
- Participation in business development activities including contributing to proposals and workplan drafting.
- Has relationships with elected officials, their staff and other government officials to facilitate relationship building and participates in these meetings with clients.
- Tracks meeting notes, outcomes and follow up items required.
- Is responsible for or “holds” key, sometimes sensitive, relationships with individuals such as political staff.
- Uses rigorous decision-making processes to make objective decisions.
- Makes suggestions and provides ideas to decision making process. Gathers input from others to inform decisions.
- Has the ability to determine priorities.
- Builds effective relationships to achieve individual and organizational success.
- Shares the workload with others and is prepared to take on different roles and projects when required.
- Seeks out and leverages the diverse perspectives and capabilities of colleagues and clients.
- Collaborates effectively but also has the ability to work somewhat independently.
- Has the ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Openly communicates with colleagues and clients the information required to execute work.
- Can communicate clearly through verbal and written communication with a variety of audiences.
ABOUT GLOBAL PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Global Public Affairs is a privately-held Canadian firm providing integrated government relations, strategic communications and issues management consulting services that enable clients to successfully navigate increasingly complex public policy and business environments. With offices across the country, Global helps Canadian and international organizations address issues, manage risk, enhance their reputations, and find common ground with stakeholders.
From Insight to Impact is our guiding principle. Our goal is to help our clients meet their business objectives. It starts with clearly and concisely articulating an issue or point of view convincingly, ensuring that it is understood and taken into account by those that matter most.