Director – Vancouver or Victoria, British Columbia
Global Public Affairs (Global) is looking for a Director to join our British Columbia practice in either our Vancouver or Victoria office.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working as part of a high-performing national and local team dedicated to serving a roster of dynamic and well-known clients. The work includes providing government relations, stakeholder relations and communications advice and support on some of the most high-profile issues, projects, and policy developments of the day. A keen interest in public policy, politics and current events and trends for this sector is important. In addition, the ability to register as a lobbyist is a mandatory requirement of the position.
The ideal candidate will have 8-10 years of experience, along with a blend of policy analysis, government relations and stakeholder engagement skills. Previous experience working in public affairs, including lobbying or working with the British Columbia government. The candidate will have a proven track record of leading and working within a team environment. Highly developed communications skills, writing and presentation will form a key element of this position. Previous experience in communications is considered an asset.
This position offers a positive and inclusive hybrid work environment and the opportunity to grow and collaborate with colleagues and clients across the country. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a team environment.
Global is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Interested candidates should email their resumes and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include salary expectations in the cover letter and the reference number: BC-DIR-5023 in your subject heading.
No phone calls, please. Only selected candidates will be outreached to.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads client mandates with a focus on excellent client service.
- Delivers policy and issue-based input for reports and thought leadership pieces.
- Manages the overall monitoring and analysis of government activity and policy development processes relevant to client files and prepares related client updates.
- Leads major client files; develops relationships with key clients and stakeholders; closely monitors client feedback and satisfaction; is responsible for ensuring quality control of all client deliverables.
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects and determine project urgency in a clear and practical way while taking a strategic, thoughtful approch to the complicated and difficult files.
- Leads yearly, and as needed, proactive planning sessions with clients and seeks to build relationships with the senior team on client side.
- Is recognized for holding the right subject matter expertise to give clients advice on engaging with government and supporting them in making business decisions based on political/regulatory risk analysis.
- Prepares and delivers proactive public affairs plans to clients.
Business Development and Marketing
- Supports the strategic direction of the BC practice and assists in its growth and external marketing activities.
- Works to develop business relationships for the practice to achieve growth targets.
- Expands and develops business within existing accounts.
- Identifies and proactively, pursues business opportunities and engages members of the team to help bring the business in.
- Maintains strong involvement in marketing, networking, and business development functions and is comfortable with public speaking and presenting.
- Mentors and develops other team members by providing regular feedback and growth opportunities for them.
About Global Public Affairs
Global Public Affairs is Canada’s largest privately-owned public affairs firm. With offices across the country, we work with an ever-expanding list of Canadian and international clients in multiple aspects of their business, providing comprehensive strategic government relations and communications counsel and services – from research and strategy development to full project implementation. Whether through government advocacy, managing a crisis, or engaging the local community, pursuing the many elements of effective public affairs is fundamental to the success of any organization. From our inception in 1995, we have built a track record of success, helping organizations of all sizes and in a variety of sectors meet their business objectives. Our guiding principle, From Insight to Impact, is at the heart of our work.