Associate Consultant, Health and Life Sciences – Ottawa
Global Public Affairs’ (Global) Ottawa office is currently searching for a new Associate Consultant to join its Health and Life Sciences practice group.
We are seeking candidates interested in the complex intersection of health policy, government regulation, economics, innovation, and politics. Our ideal candidate is a self-starter, client service-oriented, organized, and capable of working with multiple projects and deadlines. Candidates should have strong communication, writing and research skills, and enjoy working in a fast-paced team atmosphere.
Eligibility for federal lobby registration is a mandatory requirement of this position.
The Associate Consultant role is an entry-level consulting position for candidates with 0-2 years of experience. Salary level will depend on qualifications. Bilingualism and relevant experience in government, healthcare, other consulting, or to the broader life sciences sector are definite assets.
Our national Health and Life Sciences practice is a market leader and highly collaborative. We offer a positive work environment and unique corporate culture with the opportunity to interact and work with colleagues on projects across the country.
Global is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. Pleasea advise if accommodations are required to submit your resume.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include salary expectation in your cover letter. Please include reference number HLS-1002 in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter. No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will receive a call back for interviews.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor and report on legislative and regulatory activities relevant to client files for the purposes of internal and external briefing notes.
- Track relevant Parliamentary Committee work and prepare briefing notes and analysis as required.
- Coordinate and assist in the drafting of focused policy updates sent to clients (budgets, Throne speeches, Cabinet shuffles, end of session updates, etc.).
- Research and Coordination
In partnership with the Health and Life Sciences team:
- Undertake research to develop briefing materials, presentations, and other communications products on issues specific to clients needs.
- Regular monitoring, tracking and reporting of relevant legislative, regulatory, political, media and stakeholder developments.
- Organize external client meetings and events and coordinate follow up (assist in the preparation of contact plans, meeting agendas, briefing materials, logistics, etc.).
- Assist in the development of presentations and proposals for existing and prospective clients.
- Manage internal contact and distribution lists.
- Provide support for other business development and profile-raising activities.
Skills and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, economics, public policy or a related field. Post-graduate education in a relevant field is a definite asset.
- Familiarity or direct experience with federal legislative and political processes and a passion for healthcare and the life sciences sector.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities and client demands.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively while being results-oriented.
- Accountability, reliability, and professionalism.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in government or the health and life sciences sector is strongly preferred.
- Uses rigorous decision-making processes to make objective recommendations and decisions.
- Has the ability to determine priorities.
- Seeks clarifications as appropriate.
- Builds effective relationships to achieve individual, practice and organizational success.
- Shares the workload with others and is prepared to take on different roles and projects as required.
- Proactively seeks out and leverages the diverse perspectives and capabilities of colleagues and clients.
- Has the ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Openly and effectively communicates with colleagues and clients regarding information required to execute work.
- Can communicate clearly through both verbal and written communication with a variety of audiences.
Integrity and Ethics
- Establishes and maintains high personal and professional standards.
- Is respectful of the opinions, time, and efforts of others.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with key stakeholders including colleagues, government contacts, and clients, gaining their trust and respect.
- Is aware of how decisions, words and actions affect relationships and reputations.
- Represents Global appropriately in public; maintains corporate brand and reputation; conducts oneself in a professional manner both in and out of the office.
ABOUT GLOBAL PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Global Public Affairs is Canada’s leading privately held strategic communications and government advocacy consultancy. With offices across Canada, we represent the largest corporate sector organizations in the country, touching on all facets of the national economy. We are a team of experienced consultants who work seamlessly across jurisdictions, guiding organizations through complex public policy challenges. We draw on our expertise as senior leaders in government, media, private and non-profit sectors to provide first-hand knowledge of Canada’s unique public policy and administrative framework. We build a tailored approach for each client – strategies that are mindful of the end goal and balance the particular commercial objectives and culture of our clients and their organizations. We bring our knowledge and insight to the complex relationship between public affairs and business. We empower our clients to become their own best advocate in building positive relationships with stakeholders and governments. We are driven to achieve meaningful impact through our strategic counsel in an ever-evolving environment.