Associate Consultant, Cultural Industries – Ottawa
Canada’s only dedicated Cultural Industries public affairs team is recruiting an Associate Consultant. Understanding of/or experience in Government or Government Relations is required. We are looking for someone who is approachable, client service-oriented, organized when dealing multiple projects, and enjoys working in a team atmosphere.
This position is responsible for maintaining Global’s strong corporate brand and reputation through client facing interactions. The Associate Consultant is a key contributor, and at times, undertakes a leading role on client projects. They will maintain a client portfolio and remain current in the clients’ affairs and concerns and work through issues by liaising with the federal civil service and political levels of government. The Associate Consultant would be able to give briefings on relevant projects, issues, and government news on short notice, and respond to tight deadlines and urgent matters, without neglecting longer-term client work. The candidate is comfortable handling risk and uncertainty.
In addition, the Associate Consultant is responsible for supporting business development activities including networking and assisting the Vice President, Cultural Industries, and the team in the achievement of strategic vision, goals, and objectives. The role contributes to the development and implementation of corporate wide initiatives. The Associate Consultant reports to the Vice President, Cultural Industries in the Ottawa office.
This full-time position, based in Ottawa, offers a positive work environment and the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues across the country.
Global is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Interested candidates can upload their resume and cover letter or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include salary expectation in your cover letter and include reference #Ottawa-1003 in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Only selected candidates will receive a call back for interviews.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Learning client files from a substantive external policy/regulatory/sectoral perspective.
- Monitor and track relevant developments in federal/provincial legislatures for issues that may arise that would be of interest to Global’s clients within the practice/office.
- Participate in client service teams.
- Primary lead on collection of research, documentation, speeches, media for the creation of client briefing notes and presentations and as such as an interest in government, media and stakeholders.
- Coordinate and assist in the drafting of Global Updates sent to clients (budgets, Speeches from the Throne, Cabinet shuffles, end of session updates, etc.).
- Keen attention to detail, ability to disseminate vast quantities of information into digestible formats.
- Take a proactive role in supporting the team on client files, including capturing meeting notes, follow-ups and ensuring all client deadlines are being met.
- Learns to proactively identify cross-office or cross-practice efficiencies; builds on existing corporate collateral when available rather than “re-inventing the wheel” with every undertaking and client deliverable.
- Willingness to engage with external stakeholders (e.g. political staff, government officials, media) to gather information and facilitate meeting coordination for clients as directed and as part of a collaborative team outreach approach
ABOUT GLOBAL PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Global Public Affairs is a privately-held Canadian firm providing integrated government relations, strategic communications and issues management consulting services that enable clients to successfully navigate increasingly complex public policy and business environments. With offices across the country, Global helps Canadian and international organizations address issues, manage risk, enhance their reputations, and find common ground with stakeholders.
From Insight to Impact is our guiding principle. Our goal is to help our clients meet their business objectives. It starts with clearly and concisely articulating an issue or point of view convincingly, ensuring that it is understood and taken into account by those that matter most.