Associate Consultant – British Columbia
Global Public Affairs (Global) is growing our public affairs practice and we’re looking for talented professionals, based in Vancouver or Victoria, to join our B.C. team.
Global is looking for individuals who enjoy working as part of a high-performing team dedicated to serving a roster of dynamic and well-known clients. The work includes providing government relations, stakeholder relations and communications advice and support on some of the most high-profile issues, projects, and policy developments of the day. To this end, a keen interest in public policy, politics and current events is a must. In addition, the ability to register as a lobbyist federally or in the respective province is a mandatory requirement of these positions.
The ideal candidates will have one to three years of experience, along with a blend of policy analysis, government relations, communications, or stakeholder engagement skills and have previous experience working in government relations, government, strategic communications, politics, or policy development. Specific roles and responsibilities are detailed below.
We offer a positive work environment and a unique corporate culture with the opportunity to interact and work with colleagues across the country. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a team environment.
Global is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include salary expectation in your cover letter and reference number BC – 5300 in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter. No phone calls please. Only selected candidates will receive a call back.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Often functions as a point of contact on client projects
- Monitors and evaluates progress and results for all projects in their portfolio
- Undertakes research to develop policy briefing notes on issues specific to clients’ needs
- Provides support in the execution of business plan for British Columbia offices
- Supports the establishment and implementation of marketing, networking and business development initiatives in the province
- Delivers policy and issue-based research for reports and thought leadership pieces
- Monitors parliamentary activity and the policy development process relevant to client files and prepares client updates
- Organizes client meeting programs and coordinate follow-up (assist in the preparation of contact plans, meeting agendas, briefing materials, etc.)
- Drafts briefing materials for events and lobby days and helps with the coordination and execution
- Mentors and develops junior team members by providing regular feedback and opportunities for them as appropriate
- Identifies emerging opportunities and anticipates future industry trends
- Performs other duties as required
Skills and Qualifications
The minimum qualifications for this role are:
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
- A post-secondary degree in business, public administration, political science, communications, sociology or a related discipline
- Familiarity or experience with the federal, provincial and municipal political and legislative / regulatory processes
- A passion for the public policy process
- Ability to work at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Ability to register to lobby in the Province of British Columbia
- Digital marketing, creative design, branding, media relations, and social media management is not necessary but considered an asset
Account Management: Support client files; focuses on client service; develops relationships with key decision makers; understands and responds to client needs; tracks and monitors account activity.
Problem-Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and does not stop at the first answers.
Business Acumen: Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, trends and information affecting his/her business and organization.
Action-Oriented: Enjoys working hard; is action-oriented and full of energy for the things they see as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
Client Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external clients; gets first-hand client information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with clients in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with clients and gains their trust and respect.
Process Management: Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can’t; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
About Global Public Affairs
Global Public Affairs is Canada’s largest privately-owned public affairs firm. With offices across the country, we work with an ever-expanding list of Canadian and international clients in multiple aspects of their business, providing comprehensive strategic government relations and communications counsel and services – from research and strategy development to full project implementation. Whether through government advocacy, managing a crisis, or conducting community consultation, pursuing the many elements of effective public affairs is fundamental to the success of any organization. From our inception in 1995, we have built a solid track record of helping organizations of all sizes, and in a variety of sectors, meet their business objectives. Our guiding principle, From Insight to Impact, is at the heart of our work.